PhotoIreland is a volunteer led organisation dedicated to stimulating a critical dialogue around Photography in Ireland, and to promoting internationally the work of artists in and from Ireland.
In 2010, we launched Ireland’s first international festival of Photography & Image Culture: PhotoIreland Festival. We celebrated Ireland’s first Book & Magazine Fair in 2011, dedicated to Photography. It was the germ of The Library Project, a unique public resource library focused on the photobook opened in 2013. Our work continues outside the festival period with a varied programme that includes events like Après Paris, New Irish Works and Greetings From Ireland.
PhotoIreland receives grant aid support towards Artist fees and core costs related to PhotoIreland Festival every July. PhotoIreland does not receive support from the Arts Council of Ireland or any other public body for its yearly programme of activities at The Library Project or elsewhere.
PhotoIreland is committed to the cultivation of a deeper and critical understanding of Photography. The purposes of the organisation can be divided in two:
The Irish context
· To raise awareness on the Photographic language, to contribute to the exploration of new ways of seeing, and to underline its crucial importance in today’s visual world.
· To bring national and international photographers and their work to Irish audiences through exhibitions, talks, discussions, lectures, guided tours, and workshops.
· To engage local communities towards an everlasting relationship with the Arts, and to promote in these new ways of self-expression and self-representation.
· Contributing to the world’s photographic legacy by exporting to an international audience via touring programs, the Internet, publications, and cultural exchanges the work of upcoming and established photographers whose practice is developed in Ireland.
· To tap into the international networks where Irish curators, art critics, galleries, art magazines, etc. can enrich their practices and research around Photography.
· To establish strong bonds with other International photography festivals and fairs worldwide, propitiating a new channel to develop cultural exchange.
Currently, our work is focused in the following areas:
– To celebrate a yearly festival of Photography around the country.
– To develop a comprehensive photobook collection and offer free public access to it throughout the year.
– To develop an ongoing collection of books on contemporary Irish Photography.
– To promote the creation of MA and PhD Photography programmes in Ireland.
– To establish an Irish Photographic Foundation.
– To lobby for the creation of an Irish Museum of Photography.